Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My name is ***** *****. My Grandfather clock will tick-tock

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My Grandfather clock will tick-tock correctly for two hours, then stop. As I observe, it seems that the middle weight is not moving, while the other two are falling properly. What's happening?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are you still there?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Clock Repair Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, I'll wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Is your clock new?. There are several things to check. First make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked R, C, L if they are not marked The heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next make sure the clock is level both ways front to back and side to side. Next stop the pendulum then restart the pendulum then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. Next if your clock is not new is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the pendulum starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen.
Your movement may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and let me know what happens if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

.