Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Tempus Fugit clock. My husband moved the Chains too

Customer Question

I have a Tempus Fugit clock. My husband moved the Chains too tight and now the clock will not work can you help me?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. The RIGHT it runs the chimes,
the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the LEFT it runs the strike.There are several ways to try. First you can run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT weights to drop you can also be pulling gently down on the LEFT or RIGHT weight
as you are doing this if needed. Swinging the pendulum back and fourth will allow the CENTER weight to drop but it will take a little time to do so because this weight drops the slowest or you can remove the pendulum and let the pendulum hanger swing a lot quicker by doing so you can also be pulling gently down on the center weight as well. Next if the first option does not work you will have to remove the weight that is stuck and feed about 12 inches of chain down the side the weight was hanging from that means lifting the chain off the sprocket then reattach the weight then it should run fine. The quarters will be tight but that is how I do it in my shop. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock ? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot say your information worked. I tried but as of this time the chains are still not moving. I am going to try again and will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, The options I gave you should have worked to lower each weight unless you have jammed the chains to high to let the gears lower the weights by the options I gave you if they didn't work you will have to lower the chains by hand meaning lift the chains up off the sprockets and lower the weights down about 12 to 8 inches which can be hard to do I made a tool at my shop that helps me do this when that is the case. You take a piece of wire and bend one end into a J like I pictured below. And still if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see if you can find someone to repair the clock in my area. Foley Alabama 36535. Your instructions have not worked.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Here are the closest companies that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

.

.

GRANDFATHER CLOCK SERVICE

Approximately 7.8 Miles from 36535
24231 GULF BAY ROAD
ORANGE BEACH, AL 36561
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

THE SANDS OF TIME

Approximately 15.6 Miles from 36535*****br />FAIRHOPE, AL 36532
Phone:(###) ###-####br />.

YESTERDAYS TIME

Approximately 23.4 Miles from 36535
6514 W JACKSON STREET
PENSACOLA, FL 32506
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

.

SPARROW ENTERPRISES

Approximately 24.9 Miles from 36535*****br />CANTONMENT, FL 32533
Phone:(###) ###-####br />

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.