Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Left and right weights will not drop

Customer Question

Left and right weights will not drop
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. The RIGHT it runs the chimes, the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the LEFT it runs the strike. First for the LEFT & RIGHT weighs to drop there are several things to check. First make sure the hammers move freely up and down, next check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this should let the LEFT & RIGHT weights to drop and if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these option out and let me know what happens and if you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself let me know your zip code location and I can locate a clock repair company in your area that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

.