Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My grand mother clock has two different chimes and neither

Customer Question

My grand mother clock has two different chimes and neither are going off the weight went up when pulled and I moved the bars back
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check
for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the hammer appear to line up and move freely advanced the hands and the is a click at 4 points quater halve3/4 and hour still no chime
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, If you heard the click like it wants to chime the problem is in the chime/strike train most likely what I described above the trip lever is either loose, locked or out of position and will need to be looked at. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know where the clock shops are here where is the pin you are talking about located at in the clock
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

The trip lever is located inside the movement by the snail between the 2 brass plates that when the clock goes into chime mode the trip lever can fall into the locking cam for what ever chime it is going to be 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or hour. Try these options out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the snail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This clock is still all together and running at the front of the clock between the movements and the clock face is a little lever that when I lift up allows the Chime wheel on the right to be moved manually
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, The snail looks similar to a snail shell on the back of the movement which is part of the chime/strike train that makes the chime wheel run. Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.