Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have just received a Seth Clock from my mothers estate. My

Customer Question

I have just received a Seth Thomas Clock from my mothers estate. My father at one time had wound the right counter weight to far. is there an easy solution to fix the star gear
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. What type clock do you have grandfather, wall, mantle? Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
grandfather
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Are the weights on chains or cables? If the weights are on chains and the weight is up to high the RIGHT weight runs the chimes, the CENTER runs the pendulum and the LEFT runs the strike. You can try a few options first you can run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT weights to drop you can also be pulling gently down on the RIGHT weight as you are doing this if needed. Next if that doesn't work which it should you will have to lift the chain up off the sprocket and feed about 12 inces of the chain down the side the weight hangs from. You can remove the weight if you can and you can use a wire and bend one of the ends into a J like in the photo I posted below feed the wire down into the movement hook the link of chain onto the J in the wire pull the chain up the feed the wire back down onto the sprocket making sure there are no twists or kinks in the chain. If you have cables there should be a lever located on top of the winding drum that you can push and this will release the weight make sure you have a second person holding the weight so it doesn't drop to the bottom of the case. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.