Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I inherited a germn made tempus fugit grandfather clock 13

Customer Question

Hi Mike. I inherited a germn made tempus fugit grandfather clock 13 years ago and ran it for several months until chimes drove me mad.I now wish to sell it but it wont start. Does it just need oiling and if so where. I have taken 2 smaller weights off and made sure chains were free but not so easy to get at bigger central weight. Pendulum seems to swing freely. Chimes also are not working as i have run click through the hour with the few minutes of pendulum swing.The clock is in same position as where it worked several years ago. Your help will be much appreciated
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If you could please post clear photos of the clocks body and face and all the labels so I can give you an accurate value. As for the chimes make sure the hammers move freely up & down and from the movement not running the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes & pendulum start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock
I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step downloadable E BOOK that shows you exactly where to clean and re oil. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

.

www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    I am in New Zealand and i will see if any cleaning kits are available. I dont suppose CRC woulclear the dried oil or is it mostly dust.App. value in $ US will be ok. The clock is a standing grandfather 6ft high with 3 weights. Face is brass with tempus fugit globe at the top and West Germany printed on bottom of the face
    Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Clockworks ships worldwide for the cleaning kit. Tempus Fugit means time flies. The value of the clock in good body and running condition $725.00 to excellent body and running condition $1050.00. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.