Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have the same problem. I have a banjo grandfather clock.

Customer Question

I have the same problem. I have a Howard Miller banjo grandfather clock. In the last week only the middle weight is descending and in the last week or so the chime stopped working. It still keeps accurate time. How can I fix this> Model # ***** and serial F0033150056
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes that is the La Rochelle model. The CENTER weight runs the pendulum, the LEFT runs the strike, the RIGHT runs the chimes. First make sure the hammers move freely up and down, next check to see if the retard bar hasn't slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, next look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Also make sure the cables are not stuck or jammed up in the winding drums. Next you can try to run your clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT weights drop do this for a 12 to 24 hour session. Next after you try running the clock manually and it doesn't chime but you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find an authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.