Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My gf clock only has two weights... it is a 610-457... the

Customer Question

my howard miller gf clock only has two weights... it is a 610-457... the problem is that I have to wind it every day or it will stop... also, it doesn't chime... can you help? thanks
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. How long have you had this clock and how long has this problem been occurring?. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the clock a few months...
the chime problem is new within the last week...
the winding problem has always been there...
probably why the last guy sold it...
thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Are you able to post a photo of the dial face of your clock and one of the front I need to see how many winding ports you have. Howard Miller models usually have 3 weights. First make sure the weights are in the proper order in this case since the clock only has 2 weights the RIGHT weight runs the chimes it should be marked R if not it should be the heaviest The LEFT runs the pendulum it would be marked with a L or it should be the lightest. For the chimes there are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments.Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes & pendulum start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I probably won't get a chance to spend any time on the clock until this weekend and then I will let you know the next step...thanks, Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave, Yes please keep me posted. Thanks Mike

.

for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, Thanks for your patience... finally some call here at the shop on a Sat. morning... photo attached... you can see that there are only 2 weights and they are in the correct spots... I moved the minute hand clockwise and heard the click, but no chimes... as for the rest of your suggestions I would be glad to venture forth, but I can't get the clock face off... there are two small screws at the top corners of the face, but they are no help... I have worked on this quite a bit and lubed it as best I can etc., but without getting at the innards it is rather futile.... Perhaps you can figure a way so I can get into the works... that would be great... Thanks, Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, There are not any back or side panels? Make sure your chime lever is in the correct position first it is located next to the 3. From the face of the clock remove the 2 screws in the wood panel then there are probably screws in the brass plate but you will have to remove the hands of the clock but make sure you remember there location 11:53 once you gain access try the options above. Thanks Mike

.

for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I tried those 2 screws long ago and removed the hands and the face still won't come off... any other thoughts? Thanks,Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave, If when you removed the wooden panel and there were not the 4 brass screws holding the brass plate on the face and there are not any access panels I'm surprised that there isn't a way to service the movement if I had the clock in my shop I could figure it out if you want I can find a authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, as you can see from the photo attached, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the wooden frame around the clock face... when you take the screws out the piece does move somewhat, but I can't figure a way to remove it without breaking it...
the reason I tried you Answer guys is to try to avoid the repair shop... I know once I can get in there I can fix the damn thing... it really is a nice piece and if we can't figure it out I'll just take it home and put it in the dining room... Thanks,
Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave, On most of every Howard Miller Clock that I have worked on in the past 15 years they all have access panels and the models that do not such as yours the wood panel once unscrewed pulls or lifts out then there are 4 brass mounting screws that holds the brass face. Have you looked by chance on top of the clock for an access panel plus check to see if the little trim board under the wood panel comes out there might be screws holding that piece on. If I could see the clock in person I could solve this problem. Thanks Mike