Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Since 1996, we've owned a grandfather clock (not sure of the

Customer Question

Since 1996, we've owned a Howard Miller grandfather clock (not sure of the model since it was a retirement gift for my wife). A couple months ago, the middle weight came off the chain. The problem is that the hook is up inside the housing and try as I might I haven't been able to reach it and rehang the weight. Even if I could, the hook would need to come further down outside the housing to hand the weight. If I could just make the middle wheel which holds the chain move, I could get the chain outside the housing. But the wheel the chain is on won't move.
Can you help me?
Dave
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes the sprockets only move one way the center weight which runs the pendulum is the hardest to work on believe you me the quarters are tight I do this every day in my shop. The best way to get the chain up off the sprocket since it is all the way up into the works and hoping the hook that holds the weight on isn't caught up in the teeth of the sprocket. It will take 2 people to do this take a small piece of wire and bend a little J in the end of it I posted a picture below fish the wire down the side that the weight doesn't hang down from about 3 or 4 inches then hook the J into one of the links of the chain then lift the slack of the chain up into the movement pulling the chain up off the sprocket in the meantime the other person can be reaching up under the face of the clock trying to get the hook that holds the weight to come down once you have the chain loose feed the chain back down onto the sprocket making sure there are know twists or kinks in the chain once you have the chain back like it should rehang the weight and you should be good to go. Always remember to stop the weights about 6 to 8 inches from the top so they do not get stuck. Try this option out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a authorized Howard Miller clock repair company in your area that makes house calls just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.