Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

The left pendelum won't drp and the clock will not chime on

Customer Question

The left pendelum won't drp and the clock will not chime on the hour it is on...like two times for 2:00
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked on the bottom R C L if not the heaviest on the RIGHT it runs the chimes the next heaviest in the center it ruins the pendulum the lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next make sure the retard bar didn't slip down onto the hammers and make sure the hammers move freely up and down. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it is on. Next make sure it isn't in the night time shut off mode. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click at the hour position like it wants to strike but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance just adding oil on top of old oil doesn't really do the trick sometimes as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes/strike train starts slowing down or sticking and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.