Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I wound my early 1900's Seth too tight. Quite running

Customer Question

I wound my early 1900's Seth Thomas too tight. Quite running
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. What type clock do you have grandfather, wall, mantle?. If you have a mantle clock does it have a pendulum?. Let me know so I can tell you what to do. In the mean time you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime this will allow the left and right mainspring to loosen up if you have 3 winding ports. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the movement starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. What happens when wound to tight is the old gummy oil that is inside the coils of the mainsprings causes the coils to stick not being able to release the power to let the clock chime or strike. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It's a mantel clock with a pendulum. I'll try moving the minute hand first. Thanks again
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Since it has a pendulum and if you wound the center winding port to tight to get the center mainspring that runs the pendulum to loosen you can remove the pendulum and let the pendulum leader swing back and fourth rapidly until it will swing on its own when you reattach the pendulum you can also use the key in the center winding port to help speed up the process by slightly using pressure turning the key in the direction opposite of winding. Try this option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.