Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

XXXXXXXXXXX from Ohio, USA. I have a grandfather clock that

Customer Question

Hi. I'm Patricia XXXXXXXXXXX from Ohio, USA. I have a grandfather clock that my husband made from a kit over 30 years ago, that I overwound. I took your printed advice and was just now able to get it started to keep time, again! However, I am not sure that it will chime. It has 3 weights.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patricia, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked R, C, L if they are not marked The heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. Next make sure the chime selector lever is not in the off position if you have one it should be located on the face of your clock or on the side depending on what model you have, Also check to see if the retard bar is in the down position on top of the hammers that lift to make your clock chime. Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any
of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms depending on which style movement you have. Try these option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patricia, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike