Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a grandfather clock that I got from my father. He had

Customer Question

I have a grandfather clock that I got from my father. He had it since 1984. I transported it carefully (removing weights and pendulum & tying up the chains so they would not slip on the cogs) and set it up and all was good. My wife moved it to the other side of the room one day leaving weights and pendulum on. It runs fast now. I lower the pendulum disk (one nut) but the closest I can it is about 10 minutes a day too fast. Any suggestions?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First of all always remove the pendulum and weights weather you move the clock from one spot of the room to another or across town this really can hurt the movement this is what I tell my customers that come into my shop with the same problem. Once you have tried to slow the clock down to the lowest setting using the rating nut to lower the bob with know luck you have to reset the pendulum take the pendulum off screw the rating nut up all the way then you slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue start to lower the bob the rule of thumb is 1 turn of the regulating nut equals 1 minute per 24 hours it will take a day or three to achieve the correct speed. Try this option out and let me know what happens and if that doesn't work I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments and if that is the case I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the clock won't keep running for more than 1/2 an hour, so I don't know if your advice worked or not.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, The option I told you to try doesn't work in a day you have to watch and regulate the speed this is what I would try first in my shop if it doesn't work there is a greater problem in the time/strike train. Restart the pendulum then Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. If this option doesn't work I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments and if that is the case I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.

.

.

for helping you.