Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Seth (Tempus Fugit) grandfather clock that belongs

Customer Question

I have a Seth Thomas (Tempus Fugit) grandfather clock that belongs to my Mother.
There are 3 chains, 3 weights
2 of the chains were off in the bottom and I need to get them back on the wheels for lack of a better word. I have side access on left and right. The weights are marked on the bottom L,R,C.
Model # ***** Mov't A403-031, cutting 8637, handcrafted in New England.
Is there a manual or book that will show me exactly how to re-attach the chains and the pendulum and the proper way to start it?
I'm finding words that tell me but no illustrations. Just don't want to do it wrong.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Sorry I'm am at the hospital right now but when I get home around 5:30 I'll give you all the information you need to set up your clock. Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Sorry for the delay. First of all make sure the clock is level both ways. Next the RIGHT it runs the chimes, the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the LEFT it runs the strike. If you notice that the sprockets that the chains go on only turn one way which ever way the sprocket turns you want to feed the end that you pull the weight up to rewind down that side. The weights should hang down the side of the sprocket that doesn't turn so they do not crash to the floor of the clock case. When feeding the chain onto the sprocket make sure there isn't any kinks or twists in the chain. Once you have fed enough chain onto the sprockets hang the weight from the chain hooks look at the picture below then pull the weight up stopping about 8 inches from the top you never want to wind the weights all the way to the top because they might get stuck. After you have the weights hung you want to hang the pendulum from the pendulum leader refer to the picture below. Once you start the pendulum swinging and it stops after a minute or two restart the pendulum then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. Try these option out and let me know what happens and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself I can find a clock repair company in your area that makes house calls just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike I have another question but I can never get back to you !!! They need a better system I think....
Anyway, I have gotten the weights, chains, and pendulum on and everything seems to be working fine EXCEPT...
When the clock chimes on the hours, its chimes 3 hours later than the time on the clock. In other words if it is 3 o'clock, it chimes 6 times as if 6 o'clock.
How do I fix this???
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes the next time the clock chimes the hour move just the HOUR hand only in a clockwise manor to match the number of chimes then move the MINUTE hand only in a clockwise manor stopping to let the clock chime until you reach the correct time. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.