Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I was given a watch owned by my father, my Mother gave it to

Customer Question

I was given a watch owned by my father, my Mother gave it to me but she did not give it to him. He was born in 1930, they were married in 1953. The serial number is ***** of worn but looks like(###) ###-#### ***** I can't find that anywhere. It has a gold tone metal band, not a stretchable one, one with a gold tone clasp. Rectangular in shape with gold hands. The second hand is in a small "box" in the bottom, center of the off-white face. I don't expect an exact value just a real rough ball park amount. Any other markings I might be able to see without opening the back. It does run well when wound, it does keep time.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If you can give me the serial number off the movement I can tell you all about the watch. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I find that number, do I need to pry off the back?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes take the back off the watch and there should be a serial number and a makers name on the movement. Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your watch? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, thank you very much for your interest. I am struggling with the decision of trying to remove the back. It is in vey good shape and belonged to my father. I hesitate to try removing the back in case I ruin it, or even scratch it up by doing so. Is it easy to remove the back? There is no other way of estimating an age, or value without that number? Pictures would not help, nor the number I had given you that was engraved on the back itself?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes we don't want to damage the watch in any way. I can give you a value based on your description sounds like the style worn in the 1950's - 1960's. With my research the value of these type watches in good body & running condition $195.00 to excellent body & running condition $350.00. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A jeweler was able to get the serial number from the works when he took off the back to clean it. The serial # ***** ***** 5361,3K. The only thing I am not sure of is if the O is a zero or the letter O, his handwriting is difficult to read. I hope this helps, thank you in advance for your assitance.
Mark John
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Yes the watch was made between 1948 - 1955 The value is still the same as I quoted above. Thanks Mike

.

.

for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.