Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

How to slow the time adjustment on a mantel clock; face

Customer Question

how to slow the time adjustment on a howard miller mantel clock; face shows Howard Miller just below the XII and Westminister Chime just below key wind slot and above the VI...
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If this model doesn't have a pendulum it would have a platform escapement. Open the door on the back of the mantel clock and look inside toward the top right of the brass movement. You should see a silver “arm” coming out of a clear box in this area. This part is called “the platform escapement”. This is the main time keeping part of the clock.
(**before continuing, make sure your clock is fully wound on all three winding areas.**)

Changing the speed of time keeping is accomplished by ever so slightly moving the time adjustment lever. (See figure 1). To slow the clock, move the lever down towards the “-” (minus). To speed the clock up, move the lever up towards the “+” (plus). A small change will make a quantum change in the speed of the clock.

Check the clock 24 hours later and make another slight change in the arm up or down and continue as needed until the clock is keeping good time. Once this is set, you should not ever need to change it for many years.

.

.

Adjusting the Time – Howard Miller Mantel Clock Move the lever up or down to adjust time. Make small, very small adjustments until it is correct.

.

.

Try this option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.