Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

My grandfather clock will not chime or strike. First it

Customer Question

my grandfather clock will not chime or strike. First it would not strike. Now it won't even chime
Category: Clock Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my transaction and refund my money. I can't do this!! Not what I expected!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'll cover all options to try. First make sure the hammers move freely. Next check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any
of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin,
either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.