Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a hermle 1161-053H that keeps losing time. I have run

Customer Question

I have a hermle 1161-053H that keeps losing time. I have run out of adjustment on the pendulum. I only just bought this old clock. How do I fix it?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. How old is your grandfather clock? and was the clock having this problem before you bought it? There is only a couple problems that cause this I'll cover all options. First make sure the clock is level both ways front to back and side to side. Next take the pendulum off screw down the rating nut and rehang the pendulum start it swinging then listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. The rule of thumb is 1 turn of the regulating nut equals 1 minute per 24 hours, but your results may prove different and that is what makes the note keeping important to your success. By recording your actions 3 or 4 daily sessions is normally all that is needed. You should not try or expect to correct the error in one session, but rather try to split the difference by half each session, slowly sneaking up on the error without over shooting or see-sawing back and forth. Next the suspension spring might be loose, weak or worn out and would need to be tightened or replaced. Next would be maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the pendulum starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Next and the worse case to get this movement running properly again, is complete breakdown of the movement, cleaning, bushing, reassembly, oiling and adjustment. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company
in your area just let me know your zip code location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike

.

.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.