Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

The weight chain on my clock is stuck and I can't pull it down

Customer Question

The weight chain on my clock is stuck and I can't pull it down to put the weights on. What do I need to do to release the chain(s)?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First which weights are stuck?. There is 2 different ways to try. First you can try running the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session or until there is enough chain exposed to allow you to hook the weight back on this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT chains to drop you can also be pulling gently down on the LEFT or RIGHT chain as you are doing this if needed. The RIGHT weight it runs the chimes the LEFT weight it runs the strike. The center weight runs the pendulum if you remove the pendulum and start the pendulum leader which is what the pendulum hangs from and gently be pulling the chain while the leader is moving back and fourth do this until there is enough chain to where you can rehang the weight. The second way is to lift the chain up off the sprocket and feed about 8 to 10 inches down the side the weight hangs from but the quarters are very tight and also make sure not to twist or kink the chain. This is how I do it in my shop. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself I can find a clock repair company in your area that makes house calls just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.