Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

Mike. I am trying to get a Colonial model 2010 clock working.

Customer Question

Hi Mike. I am trying to get a Colonial model 2010 clock working. Everything looks good but I can't keep it running more than 10 minutes or so, and no chiming no matter if chime is off or on. I have original instructions but they are very tiny! Help! It was my grandma's clock. Thank you!
Category: Clock Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the pendulum hanger hook isn't bent evenly, what is it supposed to look like? Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First of all make sure the clock is level both ways. Next make sure the weights are in the correct order they should be marked R, C, L if they are not marked The heaviest weight goes on the RIGHT it runs the chimes, next heaviest in the CENTER it runs the pendulum, lightest on the LEFT it runs the strike. First restart the pendulum then Listen to the tick-tock on the clock and see if it is nice, even tick-tock. Equal time between the TICK and the TOCK. The pendulum to make it swing exactly equal distances from dead center to the left, as from dead center to the right. If a clock is out of beat, the pendulum will swing for a few minutes, then stop. If the beat is irregular like: tick---tock------tick-tock, an adjustment must be made or the clock will stop. This can be done by either try leveling again from left to right until you hear the most even tick-tock. If this fails, you may take off the pendulum and slightly move the pendulum leader from left to right or right to left until it almost or starts moving back and forth on it's own. Rehang the pendulum and the clock should continue. For the chimes make sure the hammers move freely up & down and make sure the retard bar didn't slip down onto the hammers if it did just lift the bar off. Try these option out and let me know what happens. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try releveling it again, what does the retard bar look like, and where is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing seems great, without the pendulum on. It wouldn't even do that for a bit after I messed with the guide, but have it back nowz
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The retard lever or bar is located on the clocks movement that can be lowered onto the hammers to keep them from chiming if the hammers are moving freely up and down then the retard bar is not on. Also when was the last time the clocks movement was cleaned and re oiled ?. As a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know when it was oiled last, and I just inherited it so there isn't anyone to ask. :( Is the retard bar a separate piece from the Silent/Chime switch (?) sticking out the front? Also, I already had the weights hung with the heaviest to the farthest right, but is it possible that the chains/weight order is wrong? I don't know if it was taken apart when she moved last. When I am facing the clock it goes: weight - chain, chain - weight, chain - weight. (Hope that makes sense!)
It is still ticking without the pendulum and has gone all the way around without stopping, so basically 3x what it should.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no chiming although it is set to chime. Still looking for retard bar thingy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oooooo I think I found it! I moved something then the bars started pulling back, I could hear a flywheel sound, then a song!!!!!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, No the weights are correct they are always in that order. Place the pendulum back onto the pendulum leader to see if the clock will stay running. The hammers must be OK then since you heard the fly wheel kick in then the chiming started that's great. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I put it back on, let's see if it will make it past ten minutes....
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please keep me posted. It would be a good idea to clean and re oil the movement. To save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step downloadable E BOOK. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar.When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself I can find a clock repair company in your area that makes house calls just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you..www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, it just slowed down again to a stop.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Then you will have to adjust the pendulum leader as I suggested above or the suspension spring might be loose or it might need to be replaced. If the clock hasn't been running for awhile the biggest problem would be maintenance a good cleaning and re oiling does wonders to keep the clock in good running condition. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes it still stopped but I am going to take a break and unpack some of the other boxes I ended up with from her house. I will try again in a few hours and will order that oil/cleaning set, but would also appreciate a repair referral from you. My zip code is 48065.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Here are the closest shops to Romeo, Mi. that can help you with your clock. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.. THE TIME SHOP2121 RILEY CENTER ROAD MEMPHIS, MI 48041Phone:(###) ###-####. THE TIME SHOP12082 HOUGH ROAD RILEY TOWNSHIP, MI 48041Phone:(###) ###-####. MY TRUSTED EXPERT38845 RADDE STREET -CLINTON TOWNSHIP, MI 48036 - 2990Phone:(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####. THE TIME SHOP184 ROBERTSON STREET - MapMOUNT CLEMENS, MI 48043 - 2245Phone:(###) ###-####. MIDWEST HEIRLOOMS38231 CIRCOLO STREET -HARRISON TOWNSHIP, MI 48045 - 3423Phone:(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####. TRIPLE CROWN WATCH COMPANY 1940 E MAPLE ROADTROY, MI 48083Phone:(###) ###-####ell Phone:(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you! What is an average price for a cleaning/oil? I've had it running now for almost 20 minutes without it stopping, but with chimes set to silent. Is it possible that there is a problem with triggering the chimes that is making it stop?Also, the floor where I have it is not level, so I've been trying to adjust to compensate for that. The built in level had said it was level but perhaps it still threw it off. Might have to put the clock somewhere else, but this is the safest one where my kids can't hit it.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The cost of an average cleaning and re oiling runs about $75.00 to $125.00 depending on the company my shop is in NC. Having the clock level is important but there might be a problem in the chime/strike train. If the clock hasn't been maintained well it would do a world of good for the clock. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.