Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Howard Miller gradfather clock and the chimes do not

Customer Question

I have a Howard Miller gradfather clock and the chimes do not work. I bought this clock about 6 months ago, the center weight drop just fine, but the left and right weitghts do not. The last thing I did was adjust the pendulum for the time it was running to slow.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Was the clock new or used when you bought it ? I'll cover both new and used for you. First make sure the hammers move freely up and down. Next There are several things to check. First check to see if the retard bar has slipped down over the hammers if so lift or push the bar off, Next make sure the hammers move freely up & down. Look at the melody chime hammers that strike the rods (usually on the right of the movement) to see if any of the chime hammers are in a position other than at rest. If you see one or more out further than the others, the hammers have become jammed. Pulling back on them and releasing might get it started again. Look at the strike hammers (usually on the left of the movement) and check for the same symptoms. Next if your clock has a chime selector lever make sure it didn't slip into the off or night time mode usually found on the dial face. Next you can try to run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike .. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.