Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a ridgeway clock that's wound too tight. its a three

Customer Question

I have a ridgeway clock that's wound too tight. its a three train skelton key type. would like know how hard it is to fix and also what is it worth. has serial number 85w04896 on inside of door. its a heavy wall chime clock. four bolts take clock out of frame
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If the mainsprings are not stuck you can try to run the clock manually. The winding ports are as follows. The RIGHT it runs the chimes, the CENTER it runs the pendulum, the LEFT it runs the strike. There are several ways to try. First you can run the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will allow the RIGHT & LEFT mainsprings to loosen up if they are not stuck. The CENTER will take the longest the quickest way is to remove the pendulum and let the pendulum leader swing back and fourth you can also be turning the key gently the opposite way when you wind the clock while it is swinging. If the mainsprings are stuck and you can not release the pressure of them I would call a repair shop to help you get the clock running it is the safest way. There is a tool I use in my shop called a winder which is used to tighten or loosen mainsprings and if you have never done this before the safety issue is that i could cut you or lose an eye if the mainspring pops while it is tight because they are under alot of pressure. As for the value with today's market and prices realized checking with several auction houses, WorthPoint in good body and running condition $325.00 to excellent body and running condition $595.00. Try these options out and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area. Thanks Mike If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.