Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a Ridgeway grandpa clock that quit chiming. Neither

Customer Question

I have a Ridgeway grandpa clock that quit chiming. Neither outside weights drop any more. Middle weight and pendulum work fine
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. First check to see if the retard bar slipped down onto the hammers if so lift the bar up. Next make sure the hammers move freely up and down. Next check to see if the chime selector lever hasn't slipped into the off or night time position. Next if the chimes are not working you can check them by running the clock manually by moving the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime do this for a 2 to 3 hour session this will allow the RIGHT & LEFTweights to drop and that will let you know that they are working but if they do not chime and you hear a click like it wants to chime but doesn't it might be the trip lever cannot fall into a locked position because the lever is being lifted at one end while at the other end the lock is out of position to fall into the locking cam. The most frequent cause for this condition is a dislocated locking pin, either by being bent or the locking cam itself being out of position. To correct this problem it will be necessary to position the pin so that it can once more perform its function. I would suggest you have a qualified technician make needed adjustments. Next is maintenance as a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy and the chimes start slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen. It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years. o save my customers money from me servicing there clock I recommend one of the best cleaning kits available it comes with a step by step DVD. A good cleaning and re oiling job will add life and enjoyment. Just click the link below if it will let you if not go to google.com and type the link on the google search bar. When the page comes up go to clock tools cleaning and oiling or go to the search line type in clock cleaning E book when that page comes up scroll down to clock cleaning kit then click view page. Try these options out and let me know what happens andif you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself if you want I can find a clock repair company in your area just let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area.. Thanks MikeIf you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you.www.clockworks.com › Clock Repair Kits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check your suggestions. I forgot to add the it occasionally chimes for a few times then quits. The chime is also 15 minutes off - where it will chime the hour when the time shows 15 minutes before the hour. We had someone else staying in the house before this happened who may have tried setting it by moving the hands backwards. :(
I will be away for a few weeks.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes please keep me posted. Getting the chimes back into sync The next time the clock chimes the hour move just the HOUR HAND ONLY in a clockwise motion to match the number of chimes. Next move the minute hand only in a clockwise manor stopping to let the clock chime until you reach the desired time if needed. Thanks Mike If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.