Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

I have a simple wood frame clock with a picture inside, a cardboard

Customer Question

I have a simple wood frame clock with a picture inside, a cardboard backing, and a squared plastic clock timepiece in the back that is about 2 inches square, and requires an AA battery to operate. The time mechanism is not working and I need to know how to replace the broken square plastic timepiece to replace it with a working same type of timepiece. How do I remove the unworking timepiece without breaking the wood frame, the glass cover, the cardboard, and the picture within, to replace with a working timepiece? Thanks.
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Well without seeing how the cardboard back is held on or the front glass is held in I can not tell you how to remove them. Is the picture part of the cardboard back? I do know once you have the backing off which if there isn't any signs of screws or staples or even tacks it is probably glued into place on the edges of the board or if you can get the glass face off but once you can gain access to the clocks hands you will have to remove them to get the quartz movement out and without seeing the clocks face there is sometimes a nut that is under the hands that will have to be removed as well. Once the movement is out there should be a number on the back of the quartz movement that is what you can tell the companies I use to order movements from they are all quite reliable.The phone works the best for ordering your parts.
Just give them the make and model of your clock or just the movement number which should be located on the back of the movement. If you can you can post pictures of the front and back of your clock so I can see exactly what you have I might be able to tell you. Thanks Mike
If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.
Clockparts.com
*****
Culver City, CA 90230 USA
Toll free: 1-888-8CRAFTS
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8AM to 4PM PST
Timesavers.com
Box 12700
Scottsdale, AZ 85267 U.S.A.
1-***-***-**** 1-***-***-****
Fax: 1-***-***-****
Monday through Friday Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (MST)
Norkro.com
2209 NW Mill Pond Rd.
Portland Or 97229
order line: 1-***-***-****
Phone/fax:(###) ###-####
Klockit.com
N3211 County Road H
Lake Geneva, WI 53147 USA
Phone: 1-***-***-****
Fax: 1-***-***-****
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm (Closed on Tuesdays) Saturday 8:30am-4:00pm
Gone to Pieces
(battery operated quartz movements only)
6819 Rt 259 Hwy
Homer City, PA 15748
order line: 1-***-***-****
Clockworks.com
PO Box 339 -*****
Huntington MA 01050 (###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot take off the cardboard backing because the timing mechanism is what holds the picture in place, against the cardboard andglass front cover to the frame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 June 2015 2:20PM
I cannot take off the cardboard backing because the timing mechanism is what holds the picture in place, against the cardboard back and the glass front cover to the frame.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Well if you can not take the back off and you can not get the glass face cover off because you have got to get to the hands of the clock to get the quartz movement out. If I had the clock at my shop I could possibly figure it out so I would try bringing the clock to a local clock repair shop in your town and maybe he can gain access to the hands if you need help finding one close to your address let me know your city and by what major cities and I'll find a few that could possibly help you out. Thanks Mike
for helping you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.