Will, Consultant
Experience:  30+ years experience ; NAWCC member; appraisals & repairs

Battery operated clock fix

My battery operated wall clock stopped working (new batteries in), but the pendulum works.

Can you help?

Sounds like you have a quartz movement which maybe got a bit of debris in it, or has a binding as a result of a buildup of dust on the oiled pivots. This happens a lot. What brand is it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what must I do now?

Can I clean it myself, if not, what's next?

You did not tell me the brand. What I would suggest you at least try is pick up a can of ether (starting fluid), a can of aero-dust (most any Radio Shack or Wal-Mart has both) and some clock grade oil. You can also consider buying this product, which works great.

And you will need some specialty oil:

Most clock shops will do a standard service for around $75, so by the time you buy all the supplies you need, you may find it easier to just take it by a shop. If the works have "died", as often happens with modern quartz movements, in many cases it truly is less expensive just to purchase a complete set of works. You can get them at any of these sources.

All you need to do is tell them the brand of the clock and note the number off of the movement.

You have several options; it all depends on how much time you want to spend and if you want to TRY to fix it yourself. To find a shop, it works great to just use Google and type in "clock repair" and your location. Quartz movements are very reliable overall, but subject to temperature changes and humidity and static collection of the dust found in every home. If it is in a home where somebody smokes or cooks a lot of fried food. It is a bit worse, as the particles tend to get attracted to the works of the clock, and they can wear out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have forgotten to give the maker of the clock.

It is The Belgrevia Carriage Clock made in England.

Would you, please suggest a right man or shop to take to. I live in Cape Town, Claremont.

I suggest you contact:

Time menders,*****, Cape Town(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I contacted the man, you suggested and he will come and see to what needs to be done to revive my clock.