Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.

i have a ridgeway grandfather clock the left n right weights

i have a ridgeway grandfather clock the left n right weights seem stuck and so it won't chime other than that works good. how do I get them unstuck
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you.

First try manually making the clock chime by moveing the minute hand clockwise stopping to let the clock chime if you hear a click or like it wants to chime or if it does start chiming do this for a 24 to 48 hour session this will allow the RIGHT and LEFT weights drop. If it doesn't start chiming read my suggestions below. You can also try pulling gently on the weight as you manually run the clock.

One problem is when the weights refuse to drop.
Every quarter hour the time train causes the chimes to strike.
That in turn causes the left strike weight to fall at the top of the hour.
So if the time train center pendulum doesn't drop then the chime and the strike weights won't drop either.
The first step in fixing this is to get the pendulum swinging again.

If the right and left weights refuse to drop, meaning the pendulum is swinging
and the clock hands are moving but the chime is not operating,
then what will happen is the chime will not operate and in turn the strike will not operate either.
What you do is check to see if the chime lever on the grandfather dial
is properly centered over a chime and not in the off position. After doing that,
you take the side panel off your grandfather clock and check to make sure
that the steel chime retard bar has NOT been lowered onto the chime hammers causing the chimes not to operate.

If only the left weight will not drop that means only the hour strike is not operating.
To fix this open the side panel and make sure that the steel retard bar has not been lowered onto the strike hammers causing them not to operate. Also make sure the hammers are operating freely.
Finally, check and make sure that the trip lever from the chimes is releasing the strike train.

Tell me what happens. Also when was the clock last serviced meaning cleaned and re oiled?

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember to click the ACCEPT button so I will be
compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
There is no additional fee charged for my services.

Mike, Consultant
Experience: I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.