Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 14 years - NAWCC member.

The pendulum on my cuckoo clock will quit swinging in a minute

The pendulum on my cuckoo clock will quit swinging in a minute after you start it going. However, the wire that holds the pendulum keeps swinging furiously if you take the wooden leaf pendulum off. Do I have a balance problem with the leaf or what?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. No the weight of the leaf keeps the wire steady to its swing. First make sure the clock is flat against the wall and level both ways front to back and side to side. The leaf controls the speed of the clock the higher the leaf the faster it swings the lower the leaf the slower it swings. Sliding the leaf up or down controls the speed for which the clock will keep accurate time. The only other problems would be a worn pendulum spring or the clock needs a good cleaning and re oiling job. As a clock ages the oils and lubricants become gummy
and the pendulum starts slowing down and then finally come to a stop or it may become dry and the same problem may happen.
It may need cleaning and oiling as they should about every 3 to 5 years or sooner depending on where the clock is hung such as near a ceiling vent or floor vent this causes temperature changes and in line with accumulating dust. Check these options out and let me know. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The clock has recently been cleaned and oiled. I've checked it with a level and it seems to be level. And it will run continuosly without the wooden pendulum with just the wire that holds the pendulum swinging. What does that imply?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

What that sounds like is when the weight from the leaf is added to the wire it stops swinging so therefore it has to be a worn suspension spring. The tension from the spring has streached and needs to be replaced. Thanks Mike