Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.
61108514

This is a Tempus Fugit Grandmother Clock. The pendulum fell

This is a Tempus Fugit Grandmother Clock.
The pendulum fell off while pulling the chains.
We cannot figure out how to re-attach the pendulum to the mechanism at the top.
It almost seems we are missing parts, but we searched the base inside where the pendulum fall to. There is a 1/4" square flat piece with a (approx) 14 gauge shaft through the center of the flat piece. We cannot figure out how to reassemble the pendulum hanging mechanism. Are there an diagrams or pictures of the pendulum attachment assembly?
Tom & Debbi DC
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi! Tom, My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. Hang the pendulum. To do this look up into the clock and you will see what is called a pendulum leader hanging down, you hook the pendulum to this. First the pendulum, second the 2pc. riveted hanging assembly should hook over the pendulum leader 1/4" square flat piece is the pendulum leader. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The diagram you sent to us doesn't match exactly the clock mechanism or how the pendulum pieces look. Can we send a couple of pictures that show the pieces and the the clock mechanism?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

I was just using the pictures for reference they all function on the same design in therory. You can Email pictures to Experts@Justanswer.com and then they can forward them to me. Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

The pendulum hooks onto the bottom of the brass piece through the square hole the top of the brass piece that looks like an upside down key is supposed to be hooked to the small black piece, the small black piece is supposed to be attatched to the square hole on the back of the movement but looks to be broken. If the piece is broken let me know. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what black square to attach it to. There's a post with a similar small, square brass piece attached to it and we cannot reattach the one that fell, so I believe you are correct that it is broken. Do we need to contact a local clock repair shop or can you tell us how to repair it?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately you'll have to contact a local clock repair shop. They will have to do the repairs. Thanks Mike

Mike, Consultant
Experience: I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.