Will, Consultant
Experience:  30+ years experience ; NAWCC member; appraisals & repairs

My grandfather clock has stopped chiming and striking the

My grandfather clock has stopped chiming and striking the hour, but is still tuning and keeping time. What can I do?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
What is the brand, please, and battery or chain weight driven?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for getting back to me.
It is chain weight driven and it is a Howard Miller. It winds up with a key but it is weights on a chain.
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
What has happened since it worked last? (Been moved, cleaned, bumped, etc.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing. I suspect it may just be dirty and need to be cleaned because it has not ever been cleaned but I have no idea how to do it. Its keeping time just fine. The chimes and the striking started getting slower and slower and then they just quit.
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
Miller clocks all have very good quality German works, but need to be cleaned at least every two years. Temperature changes can cause dust and old oil to congeal and jam the works...most times the failure to chime is nothing more than a scream for a cleaning--you can generally do it yourself, if careful, by using a high grade electronics cleaner (spray) and an air duster, both of which are readily available at any clock or electronics shop ( I go to Radio Shack most of the time). Once cleaned a bit, you will need to re-lubricate the pivot points and for that you will need a clock oil kit (which you can pick up on eBay for under $20)....if all that is too much to bother with, you need to call a local repair shop and schedule an appointment...a cleaning and service will generally cost from $375 to $500 depending on where you are and the going rates...if you need a contact for a certified horologist, just tell me where you are and I will check my directories for you. Best, Will
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will the clock oil kit tell me where and how to re-lubricate the pivot points? And can I get to all of the places I need reach through the little door on the side of the face?
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
If you do not have an instruction booklet, you can search online and find one...lubrication points are marked on most models and can be accessed through the ports. You can't really damage it (which is why I suggested what I did) by doing any of the steps I gave you...just no excessive force, excessive movement, etc.--And NEVER move the hour hand backwards, ever.