Mike, Consultant
Experience:  I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.

My grandfather clock does not chime the hour

Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you. What is the make & model of your grandfather clock and does it chime at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The clock case was hand made 40 years ago and has a triple chime movement, the only identifying marks are "Western Germany" stamped on the bottom of the face of the clock.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK, So can you expand on what your clock is doing, Is the clock not chiming at all or is it just not chiming on the hour? or when does it chime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chiming the quarter, half and 3/4 time, not chiming the hour
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Generally, if the movement is erratic in chiming, then I suspect some wear on the chime side, and that is exactly where most of the problems with this type of clock begins. And, for your information, if it doesn't chime, it won't strike the hour either, because the chiming must first be completed before it will strike the hour. If at some point it starts chiming again as you have said, then most likely it will be out of sequence with the actual quarters, and should it continue to chime for awhile, it WILL get itself back into sequence, but if there is another failure during this time for it to chime, then it is all out of whack again.

My advice, see a reputable repairman in your area. If you want I can find a clock repair company in your area let me know your location and by what major cities and I'll find a few in your area.

If you need further assistance, please don't hestitate to ask.
Positive feedback is always appreciated and PLEASE remember to
click the ACCEPT button so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you.
There is no additional fee charged for my services.

Mike, Consultant
Experience: I've been active in clock repair for 11 years - NAWCC member.