Will
Will, Consultant
Experience:  30+ years experience ; NAWCC member; appraisals & repairs
54715563

How old would a Ridgeway Grandfather clock be with a serial#

How old would a Ridgeway Grandfather clock be with a serial# XXXXX and a model# XXXXX 322? I have the opportunity to purchase this clock for $100.00 and I think this is a good buy. However, I believe the owners have been moving this clock around for pictures without taking the pendulam and weights off. I'm worried about possible damage that may have been done and what it would cost to repair. I feel for $100 I would be willing to spend some money for repairs ( within reason ). Any thoughts?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
Ridgeway clocks are date coded on the works...there should be a letter/number combination on the back side....it sounds 1980's from the number.....anyway, you can damage the works in any clock by moving it with the weights in place....only one way to check; set it up, level it, and see if it works....$100 is a steal....the clocks retail in the $1,200 to $2,000 range most of the time....Best, Will