Will
Will, Consultant
Experience:  30+ years experience ; NAWCC member; appraisals & repairs
54715563

How do I get an overwound mantle clock to run again

How do I get an "overwound" mantle clock to run again?
Category: Clock Repair
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can try to assist you...but be advised to do everything very carefully, slowly and precisely or you could make a mess! In order to reset the sync, you have to fully relieve all pressure to the mechanism. The safest way is to simply rock the pendulum manually until all tension is gone...but that can take hours, depending on the type of clock you have and the size of the spring. If the spring is within a casing, you can sometimes remove the works from the clock body and release the spring tension directly...but this is not a move for amateurs if the casing does not fully contain the spring...it can "jump out" at you and is a bear to pack back in....

You DO NOT want to reapply tension with the key or try to reverse it that way because you could easily strip a guide .... my suggest is to make sure the clock is level and bump the pendulum manually until it is totally released (and hope the spring did not slip or break from the overwinding or lose memory)....once it is unwound, only wide it about 50% until you are sure the tension is still good.

Hope this helps! Best, Will

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As it turns out this is my wife's clock and she erred with the information. It is not the clocks winder that is overwound but the chime/striker mechanism. When you place the minute hand at 0, 15, 30 and 45 a set of "Westminster" chimes are to strike. Now you hear a soft click - but the chimes do nothing -

Hope this helps. There are 3 "winders" one for the clock, one for the chimes, and apparently one for the hour chime.

Thanks Will
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
You have a snyc issue that requires special tools and skills....I strongly suggest that if you like the clock and have sentimental attachment, take it to a professional...I do not want to tell you to do something that can harm it...sorry! The remedy process for the chimes is a bit too complicated to try on your own....