Ask a Clock Repair Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
I'll try to help you but I need a little more information.
Is the clock chain or line/cable driven?
When you say the centre weight dropped all the way, did it fall ('crash!') or just get to the bottom of its line by running the clock too long before it was wound?
When the weight bottomed out did the cable go slack or did you remove the weight before winding it again?
Thanks for that.
So it hasn't run in its current position. Then there are a couple of things we need to check before looking for more major problems.
1. Are you sure the weights are on the correct way round. They are normally marked underneath (L/C/R).If not, then the heaviest should be on the right hand cable.
2. Is the clock 'in beat': does it tick..tock..tick..tock evenly like a metronome?
3. Is teh pendulum correctly set up at the top and at the point of linkage to the crutch (see example picture below)
4. Does it stop at a particular point in the hour, for example just before a quarter, or is it random?
4. Are the cables wound evenly on their drums, not overlapping or tangled?
Can you confirm that all the things I asked are correct. Also please answer the question: