Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

1968 Caddy Deville Conv. When I put a large draw on the

Customer Question

1968 Caddy Deville Conv. When I put a large draw on the electrical system, top up, window or horn, all the electrics die. Car starts and runs, headlights only come on, all other electrics gone. Sits for a while in my voodoo garage and all resets and may or may not work. Replaced the batt cables, show wires, stumped!
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: no power to the fuse block when it goes out, wondering if there is an "in-line" breaker someplace in the wiring that I can't find. Like I said, car starts/runs headlights only???
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New Batt, cables, checked wires, fuses, connections. Only happens when I put a draw on the system. When it is working, I can do all I want, heater, windows, horn, wipers etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: about it
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 22 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So my data is limited on your car but it has a circuit breaker that is mounted on the fire wall that controls power to the windows, top, and seat. There is a separate circuit breaker connected into your headlights so if the other things quite you still have lights. The circuit breaker should reset quickly but it may be going bad. It's a 30amp breaker mounted to the firewall. It doesn't give me a picture unfortunately tho. Let me know if you have any questions. And I'll answer as soon as I can. I am currently waiting for a flight so I apologize.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks Sonny, I'm at work, but I will look when I get home, engine compartment side right?
Dibbs
Correct.
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 19 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No can on the firewall looking at fusible links by the starter.
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 18 days ago.
The thing with fusible links tho is they either work or don't. What you described is usually a ground or circuit breaker that causes it. Sometimes a computer but that won't be the case here. Have you checked out your grounds? & did you not find the circuit breaker or it just isn't the problem?
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 17 days ago.

do you still want help with this?