Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Power brake lights not working or turn signals, they wre

Customer Question

power brake lights not working or turn signals, they wre working before.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: they are brand new and level is fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 64 tbird
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i checked the fuse, put a new flusher
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just those 2 problems
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 23 days ago.

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

Oh the 64 t bird, great car. we are actually restoring one at work i just went through this with the turn signals. You say they were working before, before what? has there been some type of work or part failure that happened prior to there failure?

With the ones ive done the problem was in the turn signal switch in both cases the switch had just rotted and broken apart. Have you checked all the fuses? and you say you put in a new flasher. When you turn the lever for the turn signal, do you get the indicator to light up or does the light come on and stay solid or does anything happen?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
They were working before the car went to the body shop, now none are working, no lights on indicators nothing happens. The fuses are good, the switches are brand new. no brake light, no signal lights the headlights are working. The fuses are good, I checked them.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 22 days ago.

What kind of work did the body shop do was it wrecked? are did they just repaint it. Sounds like one of the connectors must be pulled apart. There is one under the firewall but if you have no lights under the steering column would be where to check first..

Have you checked the voltage at switch I can get you a wiring schematic

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Is the switch the one under the pedal? If it is that one there is power. There is no light under the steering column.
The car was not wrecked, they had already painted the entire car but I found some areas that were not properly painted.
What is a schematic.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 20 days ago.

The switch is the one about halfway down the steering column under the steering wheel or that is where the connector is. A schematic is a blueprint of the wiring in your car for each system it tells you what each wire does where it goes and its exact location in the connector. Do you see the connector for the turn signal switch?

There is a black wire with a orange stripe that wire shoudl have 12 volts with the key on