K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast
68360881

I have a 65 mustang. Was driving and it shut down. Now it

Customer Question

I have a 65 mustang. Was driving and it shut down. Now it won't crank (nothing happening) and no gauges. Headlights and interior lights working. Does it sound like ignition switch issue
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tested battery. I figured it must be electrical. Maybe selinoid or ignition switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, check the wiring connection at the solenoid there should be 1 large one straight from the positive battery terminal and three smaller ones. There should be a fusible link on the yellow one to the ignition. Check for voltage on both sides. If good check at the igniton switch at the yellow wire.

I'll post the wiring diagram below. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have attached the pic. Everything seems to be wired correctly. I've been driving this car for 15 years with no issue. Changed ignition switch 10 years ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would the ignition switch cause the gauges to not work? No gas hot cold readings while i"on" position"

Yes, the switch or the fusible link that feeds it power.

Looking at your picture the link does not look like it popped, I would go ahead with switch replacement

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will change the switch tomo. One last question. If the switch is bad, the car still won't start be bypassing the solenoid will it?

That's correct it would not start bypassing the solenoid as there would be no power to the coil from the switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have answered all my frustrations as a rookie!!!! Thanks for your valuable help. I will change the switch tomo and see how it goes. Thanks!!!

You're welcome, if it still gives issue just reply back and we can work further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello. Pulled old ignition from 65 stang. It looks like I have a 3post connector but was using a 4 post ignition switch. Does it matter ? The 4th post on the outside does not connect into anything. Do I need a 3 or 4 or either. ThxSee pics attached

On the 4 post one the D terminal in the picture below is power from the battery. I'm willing to bet your wire that goes to that post fell off and is what caused the car to die. There should be a single wire back there with a female terminal on it to connect to the switch. See diagram below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no other wires behind dash. I think it's a three post connector but I must have used four post. What do you think. I do not see any other wires or connectors

I apologize, I confused myself. The D is a ground. You're fine to use another 4 post model

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A three or a four will work. I am asking because I am on my way to purchase

either one will work

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!

You're welcome