Lou P.
Lou P., Technician
Experience:  I currently own a 1969 and 1972 CAMARO and have 15+ years of training and knowledge!!!!
27644750

I have a 1962 MBZ 190C and the ignition key will only access

Customer Question

I have a 1962 MBZ 190C and the ignition key will only access the first and second positions. The steering lock will disengage. I am trying to remove the entire steering lock/ignition switch assembly. I have removed the two bolts and the nuts on the left side of the assembly. The assembly is loose, but I can not lift it high enough to pull it back and out of the dash. Suggestions?
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: No. The switch will not turn to the On or Start positions. I had to hot-wire it to drive it to a safe place, so it does run.
JA: What is the model of your '62 Mercedes?
Customer: 190C
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. See first message. I have the assembly loose, but can not lift it high enough to clear the anchor bolt on the left of the assembly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Let's see what the mechanic has to say. Thanks!
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

If you can see if part of the dash comes apart or moves to then remove this assembly here.If this is or was already attempted with no success let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Pete - Background: I followed the instructions in the Autopress, Ltd manual for the MBZ 1962 190C for removing the steering lock. It instructs to remove the instrument cluster (I did), remove the two nuts on the stud bolt on the left side of the steering lock and the two bolts under the dash (I did). The problem seems to be that I can not pull the lock/switch back out of the dash cut out until I can lift the lock off the stud bolt in the dash that fixes the left side of the lock. I have been unable to lift the lock high enough to to clear the bolt so I can pull the assembly back. I tried various prying schemes to the point I fear damaging the instrument cluster housing. I have considered detaching the ignition switch from the lock, but that looks onerous. So, I am asking for advice before I do something I regret. Have I missed something?
Many thanks for your attention to my problem.
Paul
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing exactly how this is done here for sure.Others here may be able to assist further though.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.

Hello are you still needing help with this ?

Lou P.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lou P.,
Thanks for contacting me. I was able to muddle through and resolve the issue myself. FYI, the trick was removing the bezel around the key tumbler. That provided enough wiggle room to maneuver the steering lock/key tumbler assembly out of the dash cutout. I was unaware that the bezel was separate from the tumbler, but it does pry out easily.
Paul