Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

1978 TRANS AM 400CI 4SPD CHANGED FUEL PUMP BECAUSE IT LEAKED

Customer Question

1978 TRANS AM 400CI 4SPD CHANGED FUEL PUMP BECAUSE IT LEAKED PUT NEW ONE ON AND NOW HAVE A PULSATEING NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE SNAPPING IN THE SUCTION LINE. CHANGED PUMP NO DIFF TOOK DOWN TANK ALL OK YOU CAN ACTUALY FEEL THE SNAPPING IN THE LINE?NOW WHAT HELP
THANKS PETE PALMER
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a problem I had in the shop several years ago. To make a long story short, the replacement pumps (we tried 5) had the incorrect length stroke arms fitted. I would look to see if the pump that you took off initially is the exact same length. Exact Same length is critical. Even 3/3" would cause this noise, as it did in our case. Hope this helps.