Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

I have a 1987 Caprice classic brogham. I recently had to

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1987 Caprice classic brogham. I recently had to replace the engine.....I know but low miles beware as the owner never changed the original sprk plugs in 18 years and 64,000 miles. I am looking for the diagnostic machine that hooks into the cars only computer for ignition and fuel consumption. The engine is an 1985 350 with a rebuilt carb qudrajet that work perfectly with old engine. Now I am getting 10 mpg. I need to find the computer so I can adjust the carb properly. I will but if working and not outrageous in price.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 10 days ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you change the carb from the 87 to the donor engine???

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, I did replace the carb with a gm rebuilt carb. I got great mileage when on the 305 engine I even found one guy to ck the system out at the time. The computer showed rich which I was told at the time that was a good thing. Before the decision to replace the engine My my mechanic tried just about everything to get the lifters to stop the clattering So now on the 350 it's getting about 10 miles to the gallon on the road. Rather than trying to find some one that has the anilizer I thought I could find one on my own and purchase it as the 350 should out last the body..
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 7 days ago.

ok, thanks

did the guy set the dwells on the carb??? they need to be set in order to run properly and give you good mileage.