Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

I have a 1969 Mercedes 280SL. It runs like a clock and is an

Customer Question

I have a 1969 Mercedes 280SL. It runs like a clock and is an excellent driver but when pulling uphill from a standstill it makes a kind of squealing noise. I think it must be from the transmission. Any ideas?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It has always made this noise. I have had the car for several years. It does not affect driving but it is very distracting. When starting out from a flat and level surface it is fine.
JA: What is the model of your '69 Mercedes?
Customer: 280SL
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I always take the car to a specialized auto shop in which I have a great deal of trust. I have never asked them to look into it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. That is all. ok
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

is it an automatic or a standard transmission?

please explain the noise to me the best you can

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is an automatic transmission. The noise is a high pitched squeal which occurs when the engine has to pull a little. There is a slight uphill stop at the end of my drive. Pulling onto the main road causes it to happen. When driving on level surfaces or pulling uphill while driving at normal speeds does not cause it. It only happens when pulling from a stop. I don't think it is a belt but I am no mechanic at all.

where does the noise seem to come from?does the noise seem to come from the front or rear of the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
seems to come from the front. When it happens it does not seem to delay any power transfer to the wheels. Everything seems to work okay except for the squealing.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 month ago.

i would have your belts checked what you are describing sounds like a belt to me