Joseph Book
Joseph Book, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diesel Technician and classic car builder

Can the Plymouth 1949 six cylinder engine (P18) be used in

Customer Question

Can the Plymouth 1949 six cylinder engine (P18) be used in the Chrysler 1949 Windsor car with minimum adjustments to the transmission?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi,Can the Plymouth 1949 six cylinder engine (P18*109230*) be used in the Chrysler 1949 Windsor six cylinder car with minimum adjustments to the transmission?
24 September 2016 04:10
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told they are incompatibility between the fluid drive transmission of the Chrysler and the Plymouth's P18.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

In some cases info like this may need to be obtained from a classic auto repair facility in your area since no one else has posted info on this here.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Pete,So what are your thoughts on this. Do I need to change the transmission to a Plymouth transmission or can I still use the Chrysler***** Is there some sort of relatively inexpensive adapter that one could use to connect the 1949 Plymouth engine to the 1949 Chrysler fluid drive transmission?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately myself I do not know the exact answer on this here due to the year but someone else here may be able to help.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here or rate my help unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Joseph Book replied 29 days ago.

Good Morning,

Just to make sure I get this right you are looking to install a transmission from a 1949 Plymouth into a 1949 Chrysler. This swap is not really a common swap so any adapter needed would have to be custom made. Anytime a custom swap is done that is out of the norm be prepared to fabricate items.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Joseph,Thanks for your reply. I have a 1949 Chrysler (flathead 6) with fluid drive but the engine is stuck. I also have a good engine and transmission from a 1949 Plymouth (flathead 6). My question is, should I use the engine and tranny from the Plymouth or can I use the engine of the Plymouth with the tranny of the Chrysler. I heard fluid drive trannys last longer than Plymouth of that time.
Expert:  Joseph Book replied 27 days ago.
That is a two sided answer. If you are going for originality and possible resale a numbers matching car will bring a must larger payday than a custom car. A car of that area with correct engine and transmission can bring a pretty decent payday with a good level 1 restoration.A stuck or seized engine is just a short rebuild away.Now if you aren't going for originality and do not mind more work and enjoy fabricating then custom is the way to go.My opinion with a gem like you have here would be keep the correct engine and transmission in it.In 2013 a good restoration would bring about $50k at auction on this car. 2016 they averaged about $34k.if you are concerned about the transmission longevity, parts have come along way. A good consultation with a reputable trans builder could lead you down the path to success.My opinion is keep it original and create one heck of a rolling piece of history.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
thank you!
Expert:  Joseph Book replied 26 days ago.

Any time, I love to promote the restoration and preservation of these rolling pieces of history. If you need anything else do not hesitate to look me up.