Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

No spark, 1940 Ford, Flathead V8, I think it is the

Customer Question

No spark
JA: What is the model/year of your classic?
Customer: 1940 Ford
JA: What year is your classic?
Customer: Flathead V8
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think it is the condenser
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am getting 6 volts to the coil
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I check the coil points and condenser
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am still waiting on an answer.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, first thing I suggest doing is checking that the points are working properly. Disconnect the wire from the coil that comes from the distributor. Set you voltmeter to ohms and connect one lead to the wire you just disconnected and the other lead to ground. Now loosens the distributor and turn it until the points close. It should show continuity to ground on the meter. Now turn the distributor until the points open, there should be no continuity to ground.

Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no wire coming from distributor. There is a power wire coming from a voltage regulator. It is supplying 6 volts to the coil. I checked the little spring in the coil that touches the points and it has 6 volts. I also check voltage to the condenser from the coil and it is 6 volts. I check the ohms on the coil and it is a little over 8 ohms at 20000k. There is no ohms on the condenser if I check it correctly. I have not checked the points for u do not know how. But I can do what your instructions say if you further explain what you mean by distrust or wire. This is a 1940 v8 flathead ford.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you like I can take pic and send to you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Currently my question has not been answered for a 1940 v8 ford flathead
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you, Just a couple of questions to get a good picture of what the problem is, what exactly the issue you are having , and could you please send that pic of the engine and distributor to me please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Will send you a pic in a few minutes. I am not getting spark to spark plug.

Going out for a bit and will be back latter today to help ok see you then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a pic

Boy that's sweet . ok lets do an old school test, you said you have 6v to the coil and it goes through the coil to the points right? ok I want you to open the points and using a jumper wire with an alligator clip put that onto the point side of the coil , un hook the high tension side of the coil and hold it close to a ground ,about the same distance as a spark plug with key on touch the other end of that jumper wire to ground and off as if you were the points opening and closing and see if you get the coil to spark. Tell me what you see .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I will do this. Question: when you say the "High tension side of the coil..." do you mean the side of the coil that touches the rotor? Also, I will going out of town today and will not be back for one week; so, it will be a few days before I can do this.

I mean the output to the spark plugs. talk latter.