K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast

I have a nice 1972 Pontiac Grand prix 455. I am not

Customer Question

I have a nice 1972 Pontiac Grand prix 455. I am not 100%sure, but I think I have a head gasket issue. The symptoms are, dark grey smoke out of the tail end, a milky look to the oil, and doesn't want to stay started. I am wondering if I should have this engine rebuilt, or buy a used one. My funds are 10 to 11k. To tell the truth, I don't know what to do with it. Can anyone help me out. Thanks, ***** ***** over veteran. Semper fi.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello,Thank you for your service to our country! With the oil milky and not wanting to stay running it sounds like a blown head gasket. Whenever coolant mixes with oil there is usally accelerated wera on the bearings.

If it's a numbers matching car and that's important to you I would have the current engine rebuilt. if numbers matching isn't a big deal I would have a new long block installed.

Let me know if I can help further