Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

My 86 silver spirit speedometer and odometer are not working

Customer Question

my 86 silver spirit speedometer and odometer are not working
speedometer has been rebuilt and trans speed sensor replaced
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The odometer runs off of the speedometer reading.If the speedometer is not reading anymore then this occurs here.

If the speed sensor was replaced and the speedometer is o.k. the fault is either in the wiring from the speed sensor or speedometer with it needing repaired or on some models the engine computer or brake computers as some the speed sensor signal travels through one of these computers before it registers at the speedometer.This will have to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint which is the cause here and from there repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would help to know the wiring hookup on the back of the speedometer thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately I do not have this info here but someone else here may have it.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did not get an answer to solve the problem