Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have '57 RR SC 1, starter "whirrs", but doesn't engage-

Customer Question

I have '57 RR SC 1, starter "whirrs", but doesn't engage- happened all of a sudden, no results with tapping on it with a hammer, etc. 117K miles on the clock, usually bulletproof mechanically, can it (starter) be removed from below, or do you have to go from above and mess with all the carbs and intake manifold to get them out of the way???
Thanks- Neville
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

This might help with removing the starter, then have it bench tested.

I assume it's in section M, but let me take a look at it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

yes page m14

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

There are tests there too while still on the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question has not been answered. I can look up a technical bulletin/service manual myself. I am 60 y/o physician and British car collector/restorer for 30 years- mostly MGs and Healeys- never the "big stuff" like my Rolls that I have owned 25+ years- it simply has never failed before- like you would expect when it was made and they were "the best cars in the world"!
Please just e-mail me if it can be removed from below (on a lift) or if I will have to work from above and disassemble the carbs/intake manifold/etc.
Thanks again- just e-mail me the answer- from below or not.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I don't know and I would have to do some more research. I'll just opt out cause I don't know the answer and suspect I won't find it anytime soon as there is very little information available to me

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you with your question. The easiest way to remove the starter on this vehicle is underneath , remove exhaust first to access all bolts and wiring. the problem I suspect is either the magnetic solenoid may not be pulling hard enough. the one way clutch not working or damaged ring gear

hope this helps good luck.