Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 72 chev. pu with a door lock probblen with the door

Customer Question

i have a 72 chev. pu with a door lock probblen with the door open the key & the push button locks the door but when door is closed will not lock, both doors the same. i have adjusted the post latch in & out & up and down. with no luck. door post latch has 2 teeth . lock works when door is closed 1 click / 1 st tooth parcialy open but fully closed 2 nd tooth will not lock no one i know can figure this out how can you do? thanks gene brier(###) ###-####
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be caused by a fault with the door latch itself.I have seen the door latch fail in the past before needing replaced for issues like this here.When it is latched this can cause the lock to not operate properly or at all for this issue with the latch needing replaced.If both latches are operating the same way here I suspect both need replaced for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi peter
i have ordered 1 door latch for know . $55.00 hope it works ? this is a truck i have restored that was in a barn for 25 years with only 42, 365 mi. can,t under stand why both doors are the same.any way i will get back to you with the results.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Let me know how this turns out when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi pete i have installed a new door latch as you suggested . door will still not lock when closed. i give up .seems to me like there is something going on with the door post catch as it will lock when open & when closing 1 click works but 2nd click it unlocks & wont lock. dont realy know if they worked ever. only removed & reinstald door with the gaps all perfect guess thats the way it will be. thanks gene
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Was an after market electronic keyless entry or lock system installed on this model?