Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 1964 Lincoln. The red,/ blue stripe power wire to

Customer Question

I have a 1964 Lincoln. The red,/ blue stripe power wire to the drivers door power window switch has no power. I found a switch behind the rear wheel which I thought was a relay. It has a yellow wire with constant power on one tab and a red wire on another tab hot only when the ignition switch is on. The third tab is the red/blue power wire to the power windows and no power gets to that wire. There is mention of a 20 amp circuit breaker in that red/blue wire enroute to the drives door but I cant find it. I replaced the switch but no power gets through it either. Can you advise where I can find the circuit breaker?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: When I first connected the wires to the switches on the door switch pad I had power. The nest time I checked , a few days later, no power and nothing since
JA: What is the model of your '64 classic?
Customer: Its a Lincoln Continental 4 door sedan. I got it as a barn find. Some one had stripped the car clean of trim door panels etcto get it ready forbody and paint work but abandoned it. Ive been putting it back together after have the body and paintdone. The power windows are my last hurddle.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: SDo far Ive replaced the switch but because the new one didnt solve the lack of power problem Im at a loss. I also by passed that switch and put power from a know hot wire to the power window power wire and it doesnt get to the door. Im told it could be a broken wire in he harness where it transitions from the body to the door
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I dont know? I,d like to find the circuitbreaker they talk aboutin the mainence manual but I dont see it
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the wiring where it runs from the body to the door near the hinge area and see if there are any broken,corroded or damaged wires.This can cause this type of fault here and can be common.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete