George H.
George H., Technician
Experience:  Old enough to have worked on them when they were new

68 camaro right taillight, right turn signal light, right

Customer Question

68 camaro right taillight, right turn signal light, right brake light work with dark green wire. Left side taillight, , left turn signal, left brake light don't work and a volt meter shows no electricity in the yellow wire
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I have tried 2 bulbs with both filaments good in each bulb. The meter shows no electricity in the yellow wire on the left side to the light socket.
JA: What year is your Camaro?
Customer: 1968
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix this myself. I tried following the yellow wire backward but do not know where to go beyond the back trunk. It is almost like some fuse for the yellow wire has blown.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The reverse lights on both sides do not work. I am thinking this is a separate problem.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Have you traced the wiring from the lamp connector up to the turn switch connector at the base of the steering column?

I think you will find wire damage along the harness and green corrosion at the point of damage.

Let me know how I can help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not familiar with tracing the wiring along the way beyond the trunk. I did see a yellow wire connected to the headlight switch. I do not know how to proceed. I do not know how the yellow wire travels beyond the trunk. Some information on the travel of the yellow wire to a location before the headlight switch, brake switch and turn signal would be helpful. Corrosion sounds like a good possibility for 48 year old wiring because the loss of functions was sporadic before completely stopping. Added to this is the reverse lights are not working on the left and right side. A meter shows no electricity in the bright green wiring going to the sockets in addition to the yellow wiring and the fuse for the reverse lights is good. Could that be related? Is there a location where these could both be damaged?

The yellow wire connects to the large connector at the base of the steering column where the wiring goes up the column to the switch.

I would think you have a wiring in the door sill area, it is common.

Is the vehicle trimmed up and running or is it in a state of disassembly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The car is in good condition and runs. The engine starts fine. The hold up with use is this wiring issue on the left side and reverse lights on both sides. The right side works. I will attempt your suggestions and see if I can see anything unusual.

OK, there is the curved connector for the column wiring and there is another connector near the front of the left door that the yellow wire passes through.

Check there and under the door sill plate running to the rear. Maybe someone ran a screw though it.

Let me know how I can help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found a yellow wire at the headlight switch and the brake pedal switch. I found a thick group of wires running up into the steering column. I didn't find a large connector.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is late here arriving at 10:30 pm. I did not find a connector and views of the yellow wire were limited. Could this topic be continued tomorrow for a further attempt at resolution?

Sure, I was in bed when you replied.

There is a curved connector on the steering column, it has both the dark green and the yellow wire from the turn switch. First try to slip a pin along the wire so you can measure with the connector plugged up. See if you have the flash of the right signal at the green wire then check the yellow wire in the left position. If you have the 12 volt signal at the connector it is between the connector and the light. Next stop large connector near the left door,