Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Car won't fire 390 ford changed over to hei. 1964 galaxie

Customer Question

Car won't fire 390 ford changed over to hei.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1964 galaxie 500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, new coil new distributor new key switch
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: No trouble
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Fire is going every where except plugs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have voltage to the positive side of the ignition coil and distributor when the key is on both start and run?

If so, hook up a voltmeter or 12 volt test light to either the tach terminal or the negative side of the coil and see if you get a cranking fluctuation of the voltmeter or a flashing test light while cranking the engine over. If not, the primary ignition circuit is not doing it's job, and it could be either the pickup coil and/or the ignition module depending on what type of HEI this is. If you are getting a cranking signal, then the problem lies with the secondary ignition which is the high voltage 1/2 of the ignition coil, the coil wire is one, distributor rotor, wires and plugs.