Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Grew up with most of the 50,60 and 70 high performance cars
3506196

I have a 1967 Chevy Impala Convertible, the car sat indoors

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 1967 Chevy Impala Convertible, the car sat indoors for about 15 years and was partially disassembled. Since I bought it I have reassembled the car and put in a newly rebuilt engine and trans, the battery both cables and starter are new. I can't get everything working on the car, the horn, power top, do not work. I have changed all the fuses, and cleaned the straps that ground the motor to the body, the ground strap that goes from the body to the frame also. I also have installed and inline electric fuel pump that is run off one of the posts on the under dash fuse block, some times it runs and some times it doesn't, but will run if I put the connecter on another post. I am pretty good at figuring out stuff like this but I am stumped. I would really appreciate some help here, Thanks Graham.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you check the voltage at the fuse block to see if 12 volts is present??

if you have a new engine, why do you need an electric fuel pump??

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Roy, I just checked and yes there is 12 volts at the fuse block and this time the fuel pump came on also when I turned on the ignition. I doesn't do this all the time. I have an electric fuel pump because the original motor wasn't drawing up any fuel and the engine that I replaced it with is fairly heavily modified,( ported heads, .060 over, big cam, balanced and blue printed), I figured the electric fuel pump would be better. Since I emailed in I have changed the voltage regulator also. Thanks Graham.

ok, thanks.

I bet you have wire harness issues here from age and loads. check the block at the firewall by the master cylinder. common area for pin damage and harness issues

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok Thanks Roy, I just put the car away for the night, have to work tomorrow, I'll take a look at the pins tomorrow and get back to you. When I had the engine out I rewrapped all he wires under the hood and didn't see any damaged wires then, but didn't check the pins. Thanks Graham.

your welcome

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'll rate you when we are done with the car, I know with the internet this is important. I'll get back to you as soon as I check the car. Thanks Graham.

ok

how are you making out

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Roy, sorry had to work late, I just checked the pins on the back of the fuse block and they all looked good no corrosion and no broken pins. I put a little dielectric grease in there and tried again still no luck.

ok, you definitely have a harness issue but where is the question

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think it could be the fuse block ? I have another Impala I can pull the wiring harness from that everything works on but I have to put it back the car isn't a junker. What would be the easiest way to trouble shoot from here?

I am here and not there. I would start ohming all the wiring to see where the failure is located

it could be under the hood or inside the car.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will do, I guess I know what I am doing this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Roy, I haven't rated you yet as I am still working on the problem, I work full time so I am working on this on my time off. I just tried swapping the part of the under hood harness that runs to the alternator, headlights, horns etc. Still not fixing the problem. Any more idea's? Electrical work is really not my strong point. Thanks Graham.

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just tried pulled the fuse box, and checked the back of it for loose or broken wires on the back, all looked good, I pulled all the fuses they were all good, but the contacts were a little rusty, I cleaned all the contacts and put a little dielectric grease on the contacts, still no change. What should I try next?

did you do continuity testing as I suggested way back??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Roy, I just checked the horn, wiper motor and the power top, there is no power to the horns or wiper motor, there is power to the top motor. How do you check for continuity? I really am not good with electrical systems, and did not see an explanation of that in the instructions for my multi meter.

Cannot explain how to do this over this forum. too long of a process for the time and the little money I get paid only if you accept my answers and only a small portion of what the site charges you

lets start with the ignition switch. see if there is voltage at the switch and tell me which wires

Roy